Tuesday, July 22, 2008

the loss

Sunday was a sad day in the Everson family. We lost our beloved (and kinda hated) Snickers. We've had her for 14 1/2 years and she's been a great little beagle. But we were beginning to think we'd always have her. She got caught by her collar under a fence and she choked. Poor little thing. But we still have her daughter, Emma. That one will be here forever. She's always doing the dumbest stuff and she always walks away from it. She's going to be like my cousin's dog who was blind and deaf and froze outside in the snow, and when they found her they brought her inside and she defrosted and was as good as when she started.

But anyways, we had a service for her on Sunday evening.

Here is where she was buried. Isn't it a beautiful spot? I want to be buried there. Its the empty lot next door to my parents. I asked if it was ok to use and their response was "well its on a fault line so it can never be developed." Which brought me to my next question "what happens if there is an earthquake and a dog coffin surfaces" but they didn't seem to be too concerned. I guess if there is an earthquake from that fault line the dog coffin will probably be the last of our concerns. My parents house will come rushing down the valley.



Here is the coffin. Or casket should I say? My dad built it and then glued down the top and used his nail gun on it in case of coyote. He is considering leaving his job to pursue a career in pet casket construction. My mom made a little pink blanket and we decided to leave this homemade bone for her.

Eddie wished he could play "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes so he could be the lone musician in the distance.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Wall Family said...

That is so sad. Lindsey is the biggest animal lover I have ever met, and when her cat Skittles died, she didnt leave the house for a month. No joke. We love our dog, and 2 cats we have now. So sorry for the loss.......

July 22, 2008 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Ani said...

RIP Snickers. You were a good dog. (And also kinda bad.) I remember once I was babysitting you and you and your daughter escaped and ran down the street and into some random backyard. Thanks for making sure I got my exercise that day. You will be missed.

July 22, 2008 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Sorry to hear about Snickers although that is one of the nicest dog burials I have ever seen. You did good.

As a side note, I think the reason you haven't felt the need to hike the Y is because you have a better view and a much easier hike going up your parents' driveway.

We should have hiked that last month :)

July 27, 2008 at 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home