Saturday, September 6, 2008

Close Call with The Wasps

Guys I almost died. Well, I've never been stung by anything, and that almost happened. Listen.

Yesterday I did a dumb thing. I had to defrost some chicken, so I thought "hey, why not stick it on a plate outside while I'm at work so it can defrost for a couple hours" (my works a joke; I'm not there for very long). I failed to remember that there happens to be a couple wasp nets out back that we have yet to take care of. Anyway, when I came home there was about 15-20 wasps on my chicken. I didn't notice this until I was outside, and apparently they are attracted to chicken like bears to honey (assuming bears like honey as much as they say). I ran back in to collect myself. Then, I saw a hand towel on the ground. What it was doing there, I don't know. We don't question, we just accept our good fortune. So I ran outside, grabbed it, and quickly ran back in to regain composure. Then, weapon in hand, I went back out swinging. I just kept swatting and swatting until they were all off the chicken (which I must say took longer than expected). I pulled it inside and went straight to the sink. After setting it down I realized that there was some black flying creature on the plate. There is no way it was coincidence; it came from outside. I'm not sure if it could sting like the rest, but I took immediate action. I turned the water on really fast and washed it down the sink. Chances are, it will swim its way back up the drain and sting my whole family and I. And my mom, who is allergic to stings, will die.

So after all this I looked outside again and saw about 30 - 50 wasps swarming around outside by where the chicken was. They must of went and warned the hive that there was an aggressor. Luckily, I escaped the situation unscathed.



Also notice this wasp picture is from I stock photo. A traitor I am! And here I am, making the post from a computer at Rubberball.

2 Comments:

Blogger i'm jefra... said...

hey ---

I thought you meant "WASP" - (as in "White Anglo-Saxon Protestant" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Anglo-Saxon_Protestant

that would have been something!

September 6, 2008 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger J & J said...

oh my gosh. i just read this so fast because i was dying to see what happened to you next. i'm SO glad you didn't die. if it makes you feel any better, when i was about 2.5 years old, my mom was pushing my older sister and i in some swings we had in our forest backyard. my mom saw an old wasp nest and decided to throw a stick at it. unfortunately, it wasn't old...wasps everywhere, swarming my older sister who was running for her life through the trees towards the house...my mom running after her. guess who was left all alone in her swing? i wasn't stung that day, and haven't been stung ever since. christmas miracle i tell you.

September 7, 2008 at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home