Monday, September 8, 2008

Anyone Else

I have a problem. Does anyone else have this issue? I've never heard of anyone with the same problem.

The first time this happened was when I was about 15 and I had stayed up all night and then slept in the day(Ani, remember that youth conference where we road home for St. George on a bus all night). When I was sleeping I woke up and was unable to move. I tried to yell for my sister, Kelsie, (who I shared a room with) but I couldn't. I felt like I couldn't breath. I move a small part of my body and pretty soon I can move more of my body. This has continued to happen ever since. When my sleep pattern is irregular, I'll have problems. Once it has happened, it will start to happen faster and faster. For example, if it happens once, and I wake up, and then try to sleep again, it will happen again in 10 minutes. And then I will try to sleep again and it will happen in 5 minutes, until I barely get the chance to go to sleep at all.

It concerns me now because it has changed. Eddie and my Dad have both experienced this inability to move, but not this new issue. Slowly, my heart has begun to "hurt." It feels like there a thousand lbs. on my chest or it stops beating. I wonder if this is a little panic attack maybe? It kept happening to me last night, which is the first time it has happened at night. I look a long nap in the afternoon, which I usually don't do because this "sleep paralysis" thing happens. However, it didn't happen until I went to sleep last night. I woke Eddie up so he knew what was going on when it got really bad and he asked if I could move right when I woke up. I'm not sure, maybe I'm so preoccupied with my heart I don't even notice if I can move when this happens. He also asked if I was breathing, like it may be sleep apnea. Again, I'm not sure.


Seriously, anyone else with these sleep issues?! It really sucks because it has a tendency to happen if I'm very tired, and then I can't sleep at all. Eventually I just give up on sleeping. I hate it! I'm so lost...lost with my hurting heart.

9 Comments:

Blogger McGraths said...

Go to the doctor, girl!!! I'm worried about you.

September 9, 2008 at 7:39 AM  
Blogger McGraths said...

Yes, the ones from Target. I love 'em.

September 9, 2008 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger queenieweenie said...

Um...I can't remember anything like that happening. You might want to get it checked out.

September 9, 2008 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger barbara said...

Honey, it's called "sleep paralysis" and it's not uncommon. You can google it and find out about it. I've never had it so don't blame my genes!! It must be scary, but shouldn't be when you realize it's not dangereous. xoxoxoo

September 9, 2008 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger McGraths said...

Quick question: I remember awhile back you posted something about Google Analytics. For the past few days mine has said that I have had 0 hits. How do I fix that?

September 10, 2008 at 4:47 PM  
Blogger McGraths said...

Thanks. I'll try it.

September 10, 2008 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger Shannon J. said...

Bree,

This has totally happened to me before. Not as often as it happens to you but I wake up and am temporarily paralyzed. It is the freakiest feeling. I thought it had something to do with waking up during some time in your sleep cycle. It never worried me much, but if it happens to you often, I would definitely get it checked out.

September 18, 2008 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

It's true that it is sleep paralysis and it occurs during REM sleep so you don't start acting out during dreams/nightmares. It is more common among people with narcolepsy/cataplexy which is more evidence that Eddie has sleep problems!!

September 21, 2008 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger Aubrey said...

Of course I'm sending you an invite, whats your parents address too? I'm having a bridal shower up in utah end of oct, so I'll send you another invite too...hows the house coming along??

September 22, 2008 at 5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home