Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sad Day for the TBI

My grandma sent me an email last night mentioning a "big story tonight on brain injuries" and how she feels "so blessed to still have [me]." So I thought "WHAT! Big story on brain injuries and I don't even know about it?!" as I am fairly convinced I know everything...
I guess you don't hear much when you just sit in your house painting your kitchen and watching recorded episodes of The Real World (and, naturally, I forward through the commercials) so no news.



But then my know EVERYTHING husband came home and filled me in on pop culture. Liam Neeson's wife, Natasha Richardson, died yesterday. She suffered a TBI on Monday in a skiing accident. She fell but it didn't seem to be very bad. She just kept doing her skiing thing and the about an hour later she started complaining about a headache and went to the hospital.

First off, I want to say that I am so sorry, especially to for husband and two sons, who will miss her more than I could ever know. I tell people that I am so glad it was me who was in the hospital bed and not one of my siblings, parents, or heaven forbid, husband. The strength and pain that her family and loved ones are having to feeling would be too much for me.

Second, has anyone heard of something like this happening before? Maybe not to this extent, but when there is pain, but, "oh, you know, its not too bad. I can deal." And then you find out it really was a big deal. Like the other day I was getting my hair done and my hair stylist ran his hand up the back of my neck (by where my scar is) and all the sudden it hurt so bad! Just for one second. And I didn't say anything because what would I say, "that thing people always do that never hurts hurt really bad. That thing, I'm not sure what it was, hurt, so don't do it again?" I didn't know what it was, but it stopped hurting as fast as it started, so I don't think anything was wrong. But, obviously, Natasha didn't think anything was wrong either. What if something bad happened and suddenly I just keel over and die. I've heard of stuff like this before, like on Oprah they talked about "dry drowning" where about an hour after a kid was in the pool he just died. Scary.

2 Comments:

Blogger McGraths said...

Did you know that Dylan doesn't ever want me to ride a horse again?

March 19, 2009 at 7:11 PM  
Blogger queenieweenie said...

the only thing that makes sense to me in these seemingly senseless deaths is that there is a grander plan than any of us can understand and when you're called home, you're called home. I feel so badly for her family.

March 21, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home