Thursday, August 20, 2009

Salmon and Chicken.

Remember how in 3rd grade it was a big deal to not eat under-cooked chicken, fish, and eggs. And then when you turned about 20 it seemed like all those rules when out the door. People eat sushi all the time. I eat the rolls that my asian husband tells me contains cooked fish or shrimp. Plus, thats usually in a restaurant, and if you get sick thats what I call a law suite. I will gladly get food poisoning to get some money. What about when people eat fried eggs and the yoke is all runny and they dip their toast in it? I can't get over the rules, I eat around the yoke. I can not get over the rules. You tell me the last time you saw me consciously break a rule, and the wild part of me will stop having desires to make a risky decision. I MIGHT try illegal drugs or spend all my money.

This no rule breaking becomes a problem when cooking fish and chicken. I ALWAYS over-cook it and its just not good. Well not just "not good," its pretty much disgusting. I will not eat the chicken and fish I cook. Red meats I have no problem with because I was always taught a little blood isn't a problem. I've learned that having your red meat warm is totally sufficient. But when I cook fish or chicken I'll go to check if its done after the recommended time, find no problems (as in it looks done), and I'll leave it for 5 more minutes to MAKE SURE its totally charred.

I have to get over this if I'm going to be an ok cook for my husband. Someone with experience in fighting this urge tell me what to do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel F. said...

I know it's random for me to comment on this... but I had the same problem! And I FINALLY found the perfect solution: a food thermometer!


The ones I like have a thermometer attached to a long cord with a reader on the other end. You stick the thermometer in the chicken or fish inside the oven and then the reader on the other end tells you exactly what temperature the meat has reached on the inside.

When it hits 160 (the scientifically proven temperature for safe chicken consumption) a little alarm goes off so you know it's time to take the dish out. And then voila! Moist (and fully cooked) chicken!


(Here's an example http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku6700488/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1|16|||0|||||||thermometer&cm_src=SCH OR http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Classic-Cooking-Thermometer-Graphite/dp/B000P6FLOY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1250804474&sr=8-4 )

Good luck!

August 20, 2009 at 2:43 PM  
Blogger emily jeanne said...

I have the same problem! I always tend to over cook things just to be safe. Although, recently I have turned over the grilling to my husband because he isnt as squeamish. I have been thinking of getting a food thermometer and was going to recommend it to you but it looks like someone beat me to the punch! Good luck!

August 21, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home